IHNGK needs people for half day shifts on Monday through Friday and on Saturday & Sunday.
- Please use sign in and out sheets. (Being able to document volunteer hours helps in applying for grants.)
- Please call 246-6500 if you are delayed or cannot come.
- Please do not give money to our Guests. Write the request to the Director.
- Please do not give your last name, address or telephone number to the Guests.
- You will be asked to do some of the following:
- Answer the telephone (Do not give names of guests to the public. Take a message in the message log.)
- Explain Interfaith Services (Families with children, Day Center, Overnight in Churches, Criminal Background Check)
- Refer callers to other homeless services. (Salvation Army, Hope Haven (men and women), Hope House (pregnant), Safe House (domestic abuse).
- Fill out Initial Contact Forms. (Network Director will take full application.)
- Greet visitors
- In the absence of the Network Director enforce Day Center Rules
- Smoking outside only
- Visitors downstairs only
- Food in kitchen only
- Children under parental control
- Paper-work, sorting donations, sprucing up the Day Center ( on occasion as needed)
- Children’s Activities (on occasion as needed)
- Leave the literature rack, books & magazines orderly.
- Call the Network Director for any trouble, or breakage of rules, Guest Application or Move-In.
The service of the Day Center volunteers in providing “a presence” is very valuable but often will not fully occupy your time. You are welcome to bring reading materials, handcrafts or your own paperwork, etc. to fill in the slow times at the front desk.
Safety issues (location of First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguishers etc.) will be discussed at orientation.