We welcome you to the Interfaith Hospitality Network of Greater Kingsport. For the comfort and safety of everyone involved in IHN, the following guidelines have been established. Please read the guidelines carefully and sign the agreement at the end. By signing the agreement, you acknowledge that you understand the guidelines and that you and your family will abide by them. Parents are responsible for explaining the guidelines to their children and for ensuring that they follow them. Failure to follow these guidelines can result in dismissal from the network.
- Adult guests will seek housing and/or employment daily while staying in the network and will document contacts on forms provided. They will meet regularly with the executive director or assistant to keep them informed of their progress.
- Interfaith Hospitality Network of Greater Kingsport is an alcohol and drug free environment. All guests will remain substance free while in the network. Alcohol and drug use will not be tolerated and will result in immediate dismissal from the network.
- Any guest who is arrested for any reason or charged with any crime (other than minor traffic offenses) will be dismissed from the network immediately.
- Stealing from host churches or the network will not be tolerated and will result in immediate dismissal from IHN. If your family needs something, ask the director/assistant and if possible, that need will be filled.
- Interfaith Hospitality Network of Greater Kingsport reserves the right to search belongings of and spaces used by guests for any reason and at any time. Searches will be conducted by no less than two people and an inventory made of any items removed from the belongings or spaces. The guest family will be asked to meet with the executive director to discuss the reason for and results of the search.
- Families are not allowed to accept money or gifts from volunteers without prior approval of the director/assistant.
- No weapons, or anything that can be used as a weapon, are allowed on Day Center or host church property. Possession of a weapon will result in immediate dismissal from the network.
- Smoking is not allowed in any network or church building or on the network van. Each church has rules concerning smoking and guests are expected to follow those rules to the letter. Host church coordinators will inform guests where they may and may not smoke.
- Physical violence will not be tolerated in the network. Any instance of physical or domestic violence will be reported to the police and will result in immediate dismissal from the network.
- For the safety of children and other guests, all medications must be given to the staff to be stored. Medications will be taken to the host church each evening and will be kept by the volunteers on duty. It is the responsibility of adult guests to ask for the medications for themselves and their children at the proper time and to follow prescription instructions. Abuse of prescription medications will result in dismissal from the network.
- All guests will treat staff, volunteers and other guests with respect and expect to be treated likewise.
- Guests will provide a nurturing environment for their children. Adult guests will not leave children unattended at any time and will discipline children with patience and understanding. Child abuse will not be tolerated and will be reported to the proper authorities. If an adult guest leaves network facilities for any reason, children cannot be left with staff or volunteers. If a child rides a bus from school to the day center, a parent must be there when he/she arrives. If a parent is working, every effort will be made to enroll children in an after school program.
- Leaving a host church during the evening is discouraged and should be done only with prior approval of the director/assistant and the host church coordinator. Guests will notify staff and/or the host church coordinator is they must leave a church and will specify a return time. If they are out beyond that time or beyond the curfew set by the host church coordinator, they will not be allowed to return to the church that night and must meet with the executive director before being allowed to return to the network. Employed guests must provide the staff with a written work schedule on a weekly basis. If a guest gets off of work between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 a.m., they must provide their own transportation to the host church and must arrive within a reasonable time - normally no more than one hour. If a guest is required to work extended hours, the director/assistant/host church should be notified and the guest should arrive at the church within a reasonable time (one hour).
- If guests miss the network van when it departs the day center, they must find alternate transportation to the host church. If guests are late for the network van, the van will leave them.
- All passengers on the network van must wear seatbelts at all times and children must be buckled into appropriate car seats. Parents are responsible for ensuring that their children are properly restrained. Van drivers are instructed to put those who do not buckle up off of the van. Violation of this policy will result in dismissal from the program.
- No food or drink is allowed in the network van. Guests are expected to pick up any trash left by their family and to help keep the van clean.
- The network and host churches are not responsible for any lost or stolen items. Each family is provided with a closet and a lock at the day center. Valuable items should be locked in the closet and not left out. Any personal belongings left at the network for more than 30 days after a family's departure will be disposed of.
- Each family is expected to keep its space neat and clean, both at the day center and at host churches. Beds must be made before leaving the church in the mornings and rooms must be neat and tidy. Food is not allowed anywhere other than designated areas at host churches and the day center.
- Anyone with a serious contagious disease or illness (common colds excluded) must leave the network until the period of contagion is over. Guests are required to notify staff of any such illness.
- No visitors are allowed at any of the host churches. Only those persons listed on network admission forms may stay with families in the network.
- All visitors to the day center must be approved by the director/assistant. All visitors to the day center must sign in at the reception desk upon arrival and sign out upon departure. VISITORS ARE NOT ALLOWED UPSTAIRS AT THE DAY CENTER.
- When leaving the day center during the day, guests must sign out at the reception desk and must sign in when they return. They must list a destination and estimated time of return.
- Only local phone calls may be made using the IHN day center phone located on the desk in the reception area. All calls, incoming or outgoing, must be limited to THREE MINUTES. If a longer call is necessary, guests may use pay phones located in the shopping areas near the day center. Host church telephones are not available for use by guests.
- The Interfaith Hospitality Network of Greater Kingsport provides short-term housing. The expected maximum stay is 30 days and may be extended only by the executive director.
Need Information Contact: Timothy Carter, Network Director,